Select a category below
Hand finished oilwaxed wooden floors will look better the more you maintain them. The wood will continue to absorb the natural oils and waxes and the finish to the floor will become harder wearing.
The first 10 days
Freshly applied hardwax oil takes 10 days to cure completely. During this time it is wise to observe a few precautions:
• Do not cover the floor with protective sheets or rugs.
• Do not move heavy furniture around.
• Only remove dust with a vacuum cleaner, brush or cloth. Do not use impregnated fabrics.
• Use protective felt pads under furniture.
After that ..........
• Remove dust and surface dirt on a regular basis using a vacuum cleaner or brush.
• Remove stains and marks with a pH neutral detergent and a damp cloth.
• Wipe with a damp mop or cloth using a diluted natural soap for oiled wood floors.
• Work on one area at a time, rinsing the mop or cloth regularly and making sure it is well rung out each time to avoid getting the floor too wet.
• Only damp mop your hardwood floor when it shows signs of getting dirty and not just because today is your cleaning day .
• Simple and economical regular maintenance allows fast treatment of the wood in order to renew the protective layer of waxoil and keep the floor looking warm and natural.
• Make sure that the wooden floor is clean and dust free before spraying the floor with waxed and oiled wood floor maintenance oil and wipe with a clean dry cotton cloth to obtain a matt finish.
• Maintenance is easier with a revolving buffing machine fitted with a beige pad. You simply spray and buff !!!!
• Full use of the area: 4 hours after buffing.
• How often ? When the oilwaxed wood floor starts losing its beautiful finish.
• Once a year you should have your oilwaxed floors cleaned and re oilwaxed by a professional wood flooring company.
The more you maintain the floor, the easier the maintenance becomes
• A good quality doormat placed at the entrance to the room will retain dust and grit.
• Your wood floor needs the right environment. Ideally a room should be between 18 and 220C and around 4060% relative air humidity.
• Wipe up any water or other liquid spillages immediately..
• If you have under floor heating the surface floor temperature must never be allowed to go above 270C
Wooden floors that are finished with Lacquers or UV Oils cannot be maintained. You can clean them by sweeping, vacuuming and mopping with a damp mop as you would for any hardwood floor but the surface finish cannot be replenished. Lacquered and UV Oiled floor finishes will deteriorate over the years to the point where the wood floor will need to be sanded and refinished.